Friday, August 19, 2005

"All that I do not have bone to say to you...."

My French friend Laurence loaned me some contemporary French music from her library, and I've been listening to it in the car this past week. I finally decided to go on line to see if I could find lyrics, only some of which (very little, in truth) I could make out. I found a few lyric sites, and to get an overview of the gist of them, I ran them through one of the on-line automatic translators (Alta Vista's Babelfish was the particular one).

I've used these a few times; they often turn out hilarious, especially, as it turns out, for love songs. So I give you the Babelfish translation of Natasha Saint Pier's Tu Trouveras:

As everyone I have my dfauts I always do not have the words which it is necessary But if you read between the lines You find in my songs All that I did not know to say you There are misprints Of "I love you" a little unmethodical Malgr my clumsy agreements You will find in my songs All that I do not have bone to say to you

{Refrain:} You will find... My wounds and my weaknesses Those which I acknowledge only half-word My false step my awkwardnesses And of the love more than it is not necessary of it I am afraid so much that you me leashes Knows that if I make some always too It is so that a little you me remainders You me remainders

I am going to have to use in a song the line, "there are misprints of 'I love you,'" and the phrase "all that I do not have bone to say to you," because, well, it would be the only song ever with those lyrics.

Tu Trouveras is actually a very nice song, and once I parse out the lyrics, I'm sure they will be also. And in defense of Babelfish, it does a passable job for something on automatic pilot.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Steve,

Here's a translation of the first verse of Tu trouveras (at least the version that appears at http://www.paroles.net/chansons/24161.htm.)
No effort made to retain poetic effect.

Like everyone, I have my faults.
I can't always come up with the right words.
But if your read between the lines,
You'll find in my songs
Everything I haven't found a way to say.

There are misprints,
Some messed up "I love you"s.
[Editorial interruption: The next line is
Malgré mes accords malhabiles.
This contains a jeu de mots, since the word
accords means both 'harmonies'
in music and 'agreeements' in grammar, as in
getting the right gender for the article
that goes with a noun. So...]
In spite of their sometimes striking a sour note,
You'll find in my songs everything I haven't dared to say.

[The "bone" glitch comes from the fact that the French word for "dare" is "oser" and the French for "bone" is "os".]

I'm sure your readers have been waiting breathlessly for this gem of pedantry, but that's the price you pay for marrying into an academic family (and/or starting a blog).

Anonymous said...

hey your blog design is very nice, neat and fresh and with updated content, make people feel peace and I always like browsing your site.

- Norman