Sunday, August 21, 2005

Intelligent Design Follow-Up

Inspired, no doubt, but the Grumpy Moderate's views on "intelligent design," the New York Times published today this article about the funding origins of the movement. Kudos to the professor at my old school, the University of Iowa, quoted in the article, who while apparently believing in "intelligent design," makes the same point as the Grumpy Moderate in his post yesterday:

"They're interested in the same things I'm interested in - no one else is," Guillermo Gonzalez, 41, an astronomer at the University of Iowa, said of his colleagues at Discovery. "What I'm doing, frankly, is frowned upon by most of my colleagues. It's not something a 'scientist' is supposed to do." Other than Dr. Berlinski, most fellows, like their financiers, are fundamentalist Christians, though they insist their work is serious science, not closet creationism.

"I believe that God created the universe," Dr. Gonzalez said. "What I don't know is whether that evidence can be tested objectively. I ask myself the tough questions."



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Grumpy Moderate, you admire this quote.:

"I believe that God created the universe," Dr. Gonzalez said. "What I don't know is whether that evidence can be tested objectively. I ask myself the tough questions."

Think about this statement a minute. It refers to "that evidence." What is the evidence it refers to? Dr. Gonzalez's BELIEF (that God created the universe.) A belief is not evidence. It's nice that hawkeyed profs get quoted, but let's hope they say something smarter next time.

...A grumpy immoderate.

Steve Shupe said...

The Grump was simply giving the Hawkeye prof credit for even suggesting that a test of the "evidence" of intelligent design could turn up a big goose egg. That quote was, I think, the only place in the entire article where anyone who was associated with the intelligent design movement even hinted that they might be wrong.