Sunday, November 23, 2008

La Neige!

After finishing the last post, I shared with my fellow Parisians the Sunday tradition of hunting for the few food stores open on Sunday.  In my neighborhood, it's the Monop store, which was packed, and after that I went to the bakery just down Rue Alphonse Daudet, which makes the most incredible baguettes, which they call "Tradition," and which are usually still warm when you get them, and absolutely delicious, an amazing bargain at 1.10 euro each.  As usual, there was a line, and as I approached the front one of the two women working in the store exclaimed, in a voice full of delight, "Il neige!  Il neige!" -- it's snowing!  And sure enough, it was, a few light flakes tumbling down from the sky.  I bought my two baguettes (warm and soft and chewy on the inside), and went home to tell the boys about the snow.  In the two minutes it took me to get home, the snow had intensified, and by the time I got into the apartment, it was coming down heavily, a little Parisien snow shower (note on the photo, for the best effect, click here for the large size):

[caption id="" align="aligncenter" width="683" caption="Snow in Paris, View Down Avenue du Général Leclerc"]Snow in Paris, View Down Avenue du Général Leclerc[/caption]

Andrew and I quickly got on our coats and gloves and went outside.  The snow kept coming down, along with a very brisk, very cold, very biting wind.  You can see here how much everyone was enjoying the weather (these folks were walking right into the teeth of the wind):



We had hoped it would snow at least once when we were here, and now it has.  It's a good day to stay inside, drink coffee, and blog ... which is what I intend to do.

No comments: