Thursday, July 14, 2005

The Jet Lag Diet -- Arrrrggghhh

Suzie and I are following the "Jet Lag Diet" supposedly developed by the Argonne National Laboratory to ameliorate the effects of jet lag. It involves a day of "feasting" (high protein breakfast and lunch, high carbo dinner) followed by a day of fasting (no more than 400-700 calories a day), then feasting, then fasting on the travel day, and beginning a "feast" day at the time it's breakfast time at your destination city. You're also supposed to drink no caffeine, but I would rather have jet lag than do that, so I'm hoping it'll work even without that part.

The feast day yesterday was great.

The fast day today was OK until about 3 in the afternoon. Half of a 250-calorie protein bar for breakfast and the other half for lunch isn't much. I lapped up a bowl of Raisin Bran the first thing when I got home from work, but that seems to have had an effect for about 45 minutes. I'm thinking I'll enjoy the feast day tomorrow more than the first one. (I've already planned lunch, a big steak, bean, and cheese burrito. Yum yum.)

I also think I've figured out part of why the diet works: By the third feast day, you'll be so hungry that staying up and eating will seem like a better idea than taking a nap.

I'm skeptical of the whole thing, but we'll see.

No comments: