Saturday, July 30, 2005

Shop Shop Shop

Today was our day to hit the stores. We took the Metro to Place de la Bastille, then walked around (delayed by several downpours) the Place des Vosges, where Suzie bought several prints, then walked to the Marais, where we found the best deal we've found so far in Paris for lunch, at a place called La Locandiera -- an excellent satisfying lunch for 5, including coffees, for 25 euros.

We then took the Metro to the "Grandes Boulevards" for some big dog shopping, at various unnamed stores and at Au Printemps, one the "Grands Magasins" of Paris. Now those of you who know me well know what I think of shopping, especially in a department store ... it is to be avoided until absolutely necessary. But Au Printemps was (oh hell, how do I say this?) pretty cool. Three large multiple-story buildings, the main building having on its top floor a relatively inexpensive cafeteria with an indoor-outdoor seating area having an excellent view of the Paris skyline. We had coffees and some pastries and enjoyed the sun, then Suzie and my mother shopped and, yes, I have to admit, I shopped, too. I did, I shopped.

We called it an early day after that, wanting to get a good night's sleep tonight after the thunder of the night before.






One final picture of something the boys love to do more than anything: Flipping open the doors of the Metro car when it comes to a stop and it's time to get off. So here's Andrew looking very pleased that he is about to indulge in this pleasure.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Patsy says you're a wonderful writer, Steve, and [lots of other complimemnts on your writing] and that you should write books. She says it's like being there with you guys. The one thing she'd ask for is more details on what you eat. Yvette also told me she thinks your blogging is terrific.

Patsy had a fall and when she called me I burst into the room and was very lucky not to compound the injury because she was lying just out of reach of the door. She had lots of bruises and a couple of ugly scrapes, but nothing broken or otherwise grave. She's been a bit shaky for the last couple of days, since that, though.

Patsy says to tell you that she paid dearly to get that BABOO truck parked in front of your building, so you would not forget to think about her. Also love to everyone including a special hello to Carol; Patsy's been thinking about Coleen.

My golf game continues to deteriorate. My new motto: Practice Makes Pathetic. I think I'll take up bunge jumping or cage fighting instead.

You guys have been to lots of places in Paris where we never were, and a few I never even heard of. Your walk from the Bastille via the Place des Voges to the Marais though, is one I've done scores of times. That was nostalgic. When you were in the Bastille area did Suzie take you to our old apartment, 5 rue St. Bernard?

I echo Patsy's sentiment that your blog bulletins really help us share vicariously in your adventures. Keep it up. You may not have millions of readers but the few are highly dedicated. And, who knows scads may be lurking out there in virtualand.

Bises a tous,

Paul (Dad, Grandaddy)

Anonymous said...

Suzie, Mom says she hopes when you were in the jewelry department at Printemps you bought your Christmas present. (I'm just the scribe.)

Love,

Dad