Sunday, July 31, 2005

Random Comments

Random thoughts after two weeks in Paris....

(1) We have been surprised at the disparity among the cost of various items when compared to their relative cost in the United States. Some things are much more expensive: gasoline, of course (I had the pleasure of a $110 fill-up during the trip to Luxembourg), but also clothing (particularly men's shirts, for some reason; common white cotton dress shirts run about $55 in the stores I've looked in), Diet Pepsi (anywhere from $2 to $4.50 for a half liter, assuming you can even find it [ Coca Cola Light seems to have cornered most of the market]; you can imagine how that's killing me), sliced meat ($5 for four thin slices of ham), electronics such as computers, Game Boys, and so on, and children't toys. But some things are much cheaper (and seems to be much higher quality): bread and cheese especially (the local market here has a huge selection of cheese that would sell for 5 times as much at the Molsberry's Market), and also coffee (a real bargain). Food generally (except for meat) is comparable. Now perhaps this is a reflection of the fact that our part of the U.S. is itself very high-priced. But I bet some of it has to do with trade quotas and tariffs and subsidies and so on.

(2) We continue to be impressed by the people in Paris. We heard it said that people here were unfriendly, but that's not been our experience. People do keep to themselves when walking or riding the Metro or buses ... but I personally like that quality. But without exception, in our dealings with people in shops, stores, museums, buses, and other public places, everyone we've met has been unfailingly pleasant, friendly, and helpful. Perhaps it is because we have taken the effort to try to speak French (Suzie has become quite good), but I'm not sure it's just that. For all you hear in the U.S. about the arrogant, surly French, we haven't met a single one. In fact, we've seen exactly the opposite, particularly from the family with whom we are exchanging homes.

(3) Those who know me know that you don't often associate the words "Shupe" and "well-dressed." But for this trip I have tried not to look like an American tourist, and have dressed up. So it was a highlight of the trip to me when the security screener at one of the museums we visited yesterday looked at me and asked whether I spoke French or English. I may look like a tourist, but not necessarily like an American one.

(4) I'm really tall here. I was standing next to a man in the Musee de Moyen Age who was exactly my height (he was a German), and he seemed enormous, and it made me realize that I'd hardly seen anyone as tall as me the whole trip.

(5) I didn't even want to come to Paris, but after being here for two weeks, I can say that I love it. I love the way the city looks, I love the outdoor cafes and pastry shops and restaurants, the architecture of the city, the over-the-top monuments, the color of the buildings, the Metro, the buses, the open spaces and the narrow streets, the museums, the Seine, the people with their dogs (who always seem to resemble each other), the espresso, the Tabacs, the markets, the scooters and the "Smart" cars ... pretty much everything. The city has a feel to it that is just perfect, accepting and yet respectful of privacy and space; it doesn't feel like a big city. It feels like an upscale village. Oh my God, I sound like Hillary Clinton, time to deblog.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your blog is wonderful. It makes me happy to read it. Not as happy as being there, but you capture the feeling of Paris wonderfully. Thank you. Jill G.